Tuesday, January 31, 2012

NEWS OF THE DAY~ Aussies get a taste of Penampang Culture


DAILY EXPRESS
January 28 2012
Aussies get a taste of Penampang culture
By: Lorena Binisol 

For the past four years since its setting up, Penampang Homestay have played host to many tourism-related activities with the assistance of Tourism Malaysia particularly Sabah Tourism.
This year was special as it entertained its first Australians who came not only to sample the homestay but to do research on Sabah's cultures and traditions.
This is something that we can be very proud as Sabahans," said Evelyn Masudal, coordinator of the Penampang Village Homestay.
They comprised educators including a professor and lecturers from Flinders University in Perth and teachers of primary and secondary schools all over Australia," said Evelyn.
There were 15 post graduate adults who have undergone their Masters in Flinders University Perth majoring in Asia Studies and are now doing their field trip cum research and they chose Sabah as one of their practical grounds.
They were brought in by Tourism Malaysia, Sabah branch and accommodation was arranged by Dynamic Tours and Travels.
They wanted to deepen their knowledge about the variety of cultures and traditions of Malaysia particularly in Sabah.
All of them were very impressed with the friendliness of the communities in Penampang area.
They said experiencing homestay is one of the fastest and easiest ways to get to know the real Malaysian people and their cultures.
"The best way to get to know us is by staying with us here," affirmed Evelyn.
"I am very overwhelmed with the hospitality with the people here and how they welcome me in their home.
"Though it is a short time with my host family, we managed to do family things together like having breakfast and sharing stories among the family.
"It is very educational for both sides as I have picked up a lot of information which I can relate to my research on this particular study I am into now, as well as they (host family) would get information about my country Australia," said Shelly Waldon, a primary school teacher in Melbourne, Victoria who is now completing her research on the cultures and the traditions of the Asia, particularly in Sabah.
This was her 2nd visit to Malaysia but first time to Sabah.
"Learning the cultures of Asia has always been one of my greatest passions. It is so important to highlight this subject to our young children so that when they grow up, they would understand more of other people's cultures and be acceptable of others' way of life," added Shelley, who specializes in Science and Environmental Education.
"For example, I notice there are varieties of traditional costumes you are wearing.
"I am curious to note whether these represent each of the ethnics identity or are they just another fashion," said Shelley who noted the different designs of the 'gaung moludu' worn by the homestay operators during the gathering.
And it was later explained by Sylvester Disimon, one of the homestay operators to the curious guests on the different types of 'gaung moludu'.
"Despite the availability of high tech, we have been ignoring cultural aspects, which I think is very much important.
"Just look at the migrants coming to my country, it is no longer the European like in the early centuries.
But it is now more of the Asians who migrate to Australia," Shelley added.
Shelley further explained that, it is very important for the younger generation to acknowledge the existence of other people's cultures and learn to respect them.
This way, she said indirectly we are contributing to the world peace and harmony among one another.
The group leader, Professor Douglas Trevaskies was impressed with the significant cultural heritage which is still very much alive and being preserved well.
"Monsopiad Cultural Village is one of the interesting places I have visited.
It gave us a kind of different perspective in discovering the cultural values of your ancestry.
"It is so important not to lose these values for the benefit of your next generation, so that they will continue preserving it as long as they live," Douglas affirmed.
"I wish to see and visit more of similar places like Monsopiad in the future, which is good for the visitors like us, especially my 'students', who are currently doing their thesis on Asia Cultures," said Prof. Douglas.
Clare Selir, 52, a primary school teacher from Mentone Girls College, Melbourne was amazed with the beauty and different cultures of each ethnic group in Sabah. "I must stay here for the whole year in order for me to learn your cultures.
"There are so many of them and everything is so alive and colourful.
Just look at your daily living, though we are in the 21st century, you are still preserving some of your ancestral value, like grating coconut using that wooden thing," said Clare who referred to the 'kingkinan' for grating coconut flesh.
"We cannot ignore the ancestral heritage like what you have now, they are valuable articles, and each of them represents a thousand meaning if you look at it distinctively.
"What I observe and learn from this visit would be my topics in my class when I get back to my school in Melbourne," said Clare who is now carrying out her indigenous studies for her project.
Claire was also passionate about gender equalities, which is one of the subjects she was doing research on.
"Even your drinks amazed me, like what we had, a glass of 'Teh C' which I never tasted before.
It was smooth and pleasing to my taste bud. Food alone can take up a lot of my time in studying them, very interesting indeed," added Claire who was fascinated with the different kinds of drinks and food she discovered during her experience staying with the locals.
Lynn Jennison, from Oakleigh Melbourne who teaches in Dingley Village Primary School in Melbourne had this to share, "My primary school children are so curious about almost everything, they wanted to know what are silk, orangutan, traditional dances, etc all about.
Therefore, I took plenty of pictures of whatever I can get here, and these would be series of topics I am going to teach them when I get back to work. I have abundant of ideas now after seeing your various cultures.
Orangutan is another interesting topic for the children too.
They talk about it every time we touch on jungle animals," Lynn quipped.
"What we are doing now is all about creating awareness to our children.
We take cultures as the channel to inculcate in their minds that we can live in harmony despite the existence of so many cultures from different races of people surrounding us," said Lynn.
Rodney Issel, another teacher from Melbourne excitedly tasted the 'butod' (sago worm) saying, "This worm is nothing new to me.
Back in my hometown it is called 'grub' which is similar to your 'butod'.
"The taste can be unpleasant though," said Rodney. He added that though it was a short stay with the family here, the journey was quite informative and there was so much to learn from especially in the cultures aspect.
"I am always curious about anything-from food, design, tools, anything that has ancestral values.
It was simply amazing learning your cultures," said Rodney.
One of the homestay operators from Kg. Putaton, Penampang, Mary Sodong shared that she was pleased with the visits from tourists all over the world.
So far she has received groups from Holland, Denmark, Japan.
"I enjoy welcoming tourists from overseas. I am always proud to share with them our cultures such as rubber tapping, paddy planting and butod (sago worm) searching.
"In return they also share with me their cultures. I feel that I am rich with the knowledge given by these visitors," Mary said. She added that the younger ones would call her 'Mummy' and was very proud it.
"Lisa Winding and Paula Lindey both from Melbourne stayed with me for 2 nights recently.
"They were pleased with the simple accommodation I provided for them. Since they are on a study tour doing research on culture, I gave them a lot of information pertaining to our traditions, and hope it will help them in completing their project," said Mary proudly.
Another operator from Kg. Hubah, Penampang, Boniface Jingulam and Hilda Bisol who hosted Prof. Douglas Trevaskies and wife Julie said that, they are proud to present the simple accommodation and local delicacies to the visitors.
"I think my guests are pleased with our simplicity.
They just enjoy whatever is being served to them. It was indeed an educational trip for both sides, for me and my family and especially my guests who are very appreciative," said Hilda.
According to tour guide, John Prudente, this group of visitors were in the VIP category as they, not only visit Sabah for leisure, but most importantly, they are doing their research on the heritage and cultures.
"As the outsiders look at our cultures as very significant, all the more, we as Malaysians ought to preserve our legacy.
"We never know, our cultures might end up at the World Museums someday and be in the history book of the international schools all over the world," claimed John.

No comments:

Post a Comment